Friday, July 8, 2016

Fay Ballard / House Clearance Illustrations

Swimming cap.
"When I was drawing it, I gave it this very dark … almost like a dark cloud underneath the floral print. It's not that different to the flipper in that sense."


Fay Ballard: 

House Clearance illustrations


http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/gallery/2014/jun/20/fay-ballard-house-clearance-illustrations

A selection of images from Fay Ballard's exhibition House Clearance about her father, JG Ballard, and her mother, Mary, at Eleven Spitalfields gallery



Chris Hall
Friday 20 June 2014 15.00 BST





Flippeer
"The flipper had been used as a doorstop since I was about 14 – it was my brother's – and there it was still, covered in a beautiful, fine dust. When people look at the flipper, they often say they see a woman there wearing some clothes. That's my unconscious working."



Origami elephant. 

 "We used to sit around this big Chinese table from Shanghai that his mother had given him and make origami puppets. I remember making an elephant with him. However, when I found the book there was no elephant in it – so was my memory playing a trick? I don't know."

Lemon

"When I went back to Shepperton in May 2008 the first thing I said was, 'Oh my God, you still have the orange!' and he looked at me and said, 'It's a lemon.' … I have the lemon at home and it's completely dried and you can shake it and hear the pips."



Chess Set. JG Ballard's childhood chess set from Shanghai in the 1930s, used during his internment by the Japanese and brought to England after the war where it lived on his study bookshelf.



Memory Box: About my Father 2012.



No comments:

Post a Comment